Monday, February 20, 2012

Prayer Journal: Week 2 Day 1 = Tuesday 21 Feb

Today's text is Romans 8.35-39.

2 comments:

  1. Romans 8:38-39 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. These verses always make me think of my college English professor who said that I needed to use more examples in my writing. Paul doesn't just say that nothing can separate us from God's love - he gives great examples:

    Neither death nor life can separate us from His love.

    Neither things present nor things to come can separate us from His love.

    Paul has left no logical loophole for us to say, "Well, what about if this happens? Will God still love me?" We know that God's steadfast love is forever (Psalm 100:5). Knowing also that nothing can separate us from His love, we can find that true peace that is only in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Jim. This is a wonderful text, and it is no wonder that it is a favorite text for funerals. I appreciate it on a metaphysical/philosophical level, but it is certainly addresses the reality of daily life and death. I picture Paul reminding himself of this when he so often faced death because of his faith. I don't face death because of my faith (though there are many in the world today who do), but cancer and heart attacks and accidents are just as much foes to me, and I rely on God's love to bring me through.

    ReplyDelete